My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

I'm a 38 year-old mother of three who was blessed enough to marry the right guy. I like to paint and create strange things out of clay and also read, write, run, drink and laugh. I have no idea where the time is going.

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

cold reality

When my son comes home from school each day, he usually tells me about his art class, who he ate lunch with and what he may have done in computer lab. But yesterday he came home talking about something I never wanted to hear from my first grader. Something called a "lock-down". I don't know if it's because we live less than ten miles from Columbine and thirty miles from Bailey, which had it's own school tragedy last week, but the schools here are stepping-up their efforts to stay safe.

Thankfully, I don't think he knows exactly what they are really talking about. He was told by his teacher that in case a "bad man tries to come into the school to steal things", they will lock all the doors to keep him out. And the children are advised never to open the doors for anyone, ever. Even if it's their own parents. All visitors have to come in through the front office. He was also told that in case the "bad man who wants to steal things" comes into the cafeteria while they're eating, their teacher will take them to a "secret room to finish their lunch." I almost cried when I heard his little six year-old voice innocently explaining these procedures to me. In my mind I can see the images of the Columbine cafeteria that have been shown on the news. Images of deserted backpacks and lunches. And blood.

I'm glad they're taking precautions, but still, the fact that our schools even have to have plans in place in case some nutcase pervert decides he wants to play out his dark fantasy there is infuriating. What the hell is wrong with or society? Our culture? So many things I don't even know where to start.

Locking the doors may be a deterrent but we all know it could never keep out someone who is determined to get in and attack innocent children. Someone who is pure evil. Some might say that home-schooling is the solution. That may limit a child's exposure to the danger but it does not eliminate it. Danger lurks everywhere. We have to keep a close eye on them when they're playing in our own front yard. And heaven forbid we ever leave them in the car for two minutes while we run in to pay for a coke at the convenience store. Predators are just watching, waiting for their golden opportunity.

So there is no solution. If I allow myself to be consumed by all the things that could happen to one of my boys, I would never sleep again. In the end, all I can really do is pray for their safety as they go off to school each day and eventually out into the world as adults. And I never underestimate the power of prayer.

3 Comments:

Blogger Duchess Of Austin said...

I'm truly sorry for you, having to hear that come out of your first grader's mouth. I agree with you...what is our world coming to?

1:44 PM  
Blogger Lisabell said...

I am so disturbed right now that I feel sick. And I don't have anything comforting or productive to say...just "damn".

2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, that is horrible! What has the world come to?!?

11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home