My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

I'm a 38 year-old mother of three who was blessed enough to marry the right guy. I like to paint and create strange things out of clay and also read, write, run, drink and laugh. I have no idea where the time is going.

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

texas o texas

* warning to my sister who just moved to Colorado from Texas, you may not want to read this particular post

I'll admit I've been a little emotional lately, but I was caught off guard tonight when I turned Austin City Limits with Lyle Lovett on and I burst into tears. It's the first time in about a year I've actually felt homesick for Texas. Memories sprang to mind of driving through the hill country at sunset and swimming in the cool, green rivers. Texas truly is a state of mind. I took much pride in being a Texan and felt defiant when we move out of state. I almost wanted to put a Texas flag on our house to show people that we were not "one of them". We were Texans. And Texans are really a unique group of people. It takes juevos to stand to 100+ degree heat for months on end. It takes a thick skin to stand the pestilences of fire ants and cock roaches the size of your hand. But it really is a beautiful state with everything from beaches to mountains to rolling green hills. A country in itself. It breeds artists like Lyle Lovett and Norah Jones and Stevie Ray Vaughn. And me.

I almost feel like I've been cheating on Texas with my love affair of Colorado. I've been swept away by the Rocky Mountains and turning Aspens and thought I'd never look back. But apparently, you can take the Texan out of Texas but you can't take the Texas out of the Coloradan. Is that what we're even called? I really don't know.

4 Comments:

Blogger babs said...

I think that's the hardest part about Colorado... there really is no state "culture" or state pride. AND a lot of them actually hate Texans (gasp!)

10:59 AM  
Blogger Tamara said...

Viva Texas! I agree whole-heartedly. Great post.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Lisabell said...

I haven't met anyone here who is hostile toward Texans, at least not yet. Rather, I've been buddying up to a lot of former Texans who are transplanted here, like me. I am finding that hardly anyone seems to be "from" Colorado; everyone seems to have moved here from somewhere else.

Muy interesante...

4:40 PM  
Blogger Movin Mom said...

Well you knew I'd have to comment on this one.

She doesn't lie people......
You can literally be on the Gulf of Mexico enjoying the beach (in Texas) drive a couple of hours to the Hill Country on a Harley enjoying the beautiful breathtaking scenery (in Texas) Floating down the Guadalupe river on a float tied to a float holding a cooler(in Texas) to the City of Austin on 6th street hooping it up to some of the greatest music, eclectic artists and and the capitol (in Texas) San Antonio has history, Dallas has it's cosmopolitan shopping, Houston has humidity, The Pan handle has lots of culture and land (of course that was always too "up North" for me to travel to. (now that I am in Green Bay) and this all borders Mexico ( in Texas)
There's snake farms, professional sports teams, friends and family and even if you don't have family there when you arrive....you'll be family by the time you leave.

I don't miss Texas for what I am missing out on as much as I miss it for the ability to appreciate it now that I am gone. Because I am a Native born Texan. There's nothing like Texan Pride!!

Great Post! :)

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home