My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

I'm a 38 year-old mother of three who was blessed enough to marry the right guy. I like to paint and create strange things out of clay and also read, write, run, drink and laugh. I have no idea where the time is going.

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Sunday, September 24, 2006

aspens

We went to the mountains today to see what all the fuss was about. We'd heard it's the peak time to see the Aspens turning and I didn't want to miss it. I'm a tree person and when we lived in Texas, the oak trees that filled the hill country were my favorite, hands down. But as far as Colorado goes, I've fallen for the Aspens. I love their unassuming, willowy trunks and heart-shaped green leaves that blend in with the evergreens though out the year. Until...the fall arrives. I'm not sure what triggers the amazing change, whether it's temperature, light, or some other biological signal, and I'd rather it remain a mystery to me. No matter what the cause, it is a feast for the eyes and soul. I was overwhelmed by their beauty. To me, trees have personalities and it was like they were shouting, "Hey! Look at me! I'm not so ordinary any more, huh?"






A verse came to mind:

You will go out in joy
and be led forth in peace;
the mountains and the hills
will burst into song before you,
and all the trees of the field
will clap their hands.
Isaiah 55:12


They did seem to be clapping, even cheering with all their magnificence.



We headed back home through the forest, strewn with the colorful leaves. Once again, I'm thankful to be here.



I wrote a little haiku in honor of these beloved trees:

crimson, gold, green, orange
dancing, shimmering, on fire
did the pines taunt you?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm forever amazed at your writing talent.

Love,
Mom

7:46 PM  
Blogger mommagirl said...

It is sad that you are getting to enjoy the fall leaves, everything here thinks it is spring beacuse it rained for the first time in 5 months, it just turned green again.

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home