My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

I'm a 38 year-old mother of three who was blessed enough to marry the right guy. I like to paint and create strange things out of clay and also read, write, run, drink and laugh. I have no idea where the time is going.

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Semper Fi

A few weeks ago as I was perusing iTunes, hoping to find some new music to get myself motivated during this endless winter, I stumbled upon something pretty cool. It was a collection of songs called "Running Cadences of the United States Armed Forces."

After listening to a couple of the samples I smiled because many were very familiar to me. Songs and chants I've heard my husband use with our boys when we're out hiking sometimes. It made me realize just how much Marine culture had permeated our household. Thanks to my husband, the boys are affectionately referred to as Death Dealers, Devil Dogs and Snapperheads. Sayings like, 'Blood makes the grass grow, Marines make the blood flow!' and 'Pain is weakness leaving your body,' are common around here. They love to hear their Dad say, in his best marksmanship instructor voice, "Shooters, you may commence firing when you’re Dog targets appear! Standby! Taaaarrgets!"

Luckily for me, I had experience with military culture long before I got married. My Dad was an Army Lt. Colonel and helicopter pilot, so growing up I often heard weird things like, "Five minutes 'til lift-off!" when we were getting ready to go somewhere. Then he would sit in the "cockpit" of the family car and adjust all the mirrors, vents and seats before we departed. Each and every time. He still does that to this day. When we went on family vacations they were run with military precision. Bathroom stops were scheduled and checkpoints had to be reached to keep us on time. No exceptions were made. Ever. And I mean ever.


So I happily downloaded the running cadence songs (only the Marine ones, no offense, Dad) and went to the gym. I couldn't wait to hear my new music! It was awesome. I felt like a real Marine!

You can make it! If you try! Motivated! Dedicated!
Your Corps! My Corps! Marine Corps!


And,

Give me that good ol' Marine Corps spirit! Give me that good ol' Marine Corps spirit! Give me that good ol' Marine Corps spirit! Cause it's good enough for me!

And,

I'll be a Marine 'til the day that I die...Motivated and Semper Fi!

I could hear the boots of the Marines as they ran and really feel the camaraderie. It kept me going and I loved it. But I didn't realize how much it had seeped into my subconscious until a few night later. In a very realistic dream, I joined the Marine Corps. It was all figured out: The salary I earned would go to hire a nanny to replace me while I was at war. It seemed so real and like such a good idea until I had the terrifying realization that I could actually get shot. And it might not be a quick, over with it kind of death, but a horrible, painful wound. I started having second thoughts. Did I really want to actually die for my country? Like for real? Did I truly feel that strongly about it?

Thank goodness I woke up and didn't have to worry about going AWOL. After telling my husband about my dream I asked him how he did it. How did he sign up for something he knew could be the end of him. He laughed and said that he didn't think like that, he never considered it would or could actually happen to him. As an 'invincible' young man, in his mind only other people actually died. He also said that if I joined up and he had to get a nanny, she'd better be good at dishes, laundry, grocery shopping, bill paying, and be a concubine as well. It also wouldn't hurt if she was about 18 years-old. Someone young enough to keep up with the boys, ya know? Of course he was joking! Calm down you women's libbers!



But on a serious note, I want to say how thankful I am that there are brave men and women that really do sign up for the Armed Forces, and not just in their dreams. I'm also happy to hear that 42,000 of them are scheduled to come home by July, thanks in part to the awesome General Petraeus. That fact has been little reported in the mainstream media because it's actually good news!!! Also, there's a housing boom going on in Baghdad right now because so many people are moving back since it's safer now. I'll bet most people haven't heard that either.

Our military is the best in the history of the world and I am proud to be the daughter of a Veteran and the wife of a Marine. Semper Fi!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home