My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

I'm a 38 year-old mother of three who was blessed enough to marry the right guy. I like to paint and create strange things out of clay and also read, write, run, drink and laugh. I have no idea where the time is going.

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Sunday, January 27, 2008

obama

I wish I could do it, I really do. I wish I could abandon all reason and critical thinking skills and jump on the Obama bandwagon. He's the only politician in recent memory that I actually turn the volume up for when he speaks instead of cringing. Just today I saw an interview with Mike Huckabee that almost put me to sleep. But Obama is on fi-yah and I really enjoyed seeing Hillary get her butt kicked this weekend. If only I could be a fly on her wall right now. It must be pretty intense over at the Clinton camp these days.

It really says something good about our country that we have a woman and an African-American who are serious contenders for the Presidency. America has come a long way and we should be proud of that.

It's very easy to get swept away by Obama's powerful, stirring speaches. He talks about change and hope with heartfelt conviction. He's got a gift and he says all the right things. These days everyone is so divided and tired of the status quo that he seems like a breath of fresh air. I'm a conservative but am no fan of "Dubya." I've been very disappointed in how he has ignored the border crisis and been one of the biggest spending presidents in the past 30 years. As for the war, if we had not gone in Hussein would still be in power, raping and pillaging his people. He would still be thumbing his nose at the impotent UN and proving that no one would do anything about an insane dictator who'd love get his grimy hands on some nukes. So it's hard to say if it was a mistake to go in in the first place. But now that we're there we can't just walk away. If we leave before things are under control, thousands and thousands more innocent people will die. And it will change nothing for us. It's not like the rabid Islamic extremists will say, "Wow, I think I like those pesky Americans now! Let's stop plotting their demise every minute of the day and go get real jobs!" The war will not be over if we leave Iraq. Not even close. But that's the rhetoric that everyone seems to be lapping up from the left. And that's the problem I have with Obama. The main problem, at least.

I'm not one of those nutty people that thinks he is actually a practicing Muslim in disguise. I have, however, heard some things that concern me. I have a feeling he will beat the Clinton machine and get the Dem's nomination and so he needs to be scrutinized very carefully. Here's a clip from an article I read last week talking about the church he attends and the pastor that is Obama's personal spiritual leader, Reverend Wright:

Addressing his congregants last week, Wright was quoted saying that, as president, Bill Clinton had done for black people what he had done to Monica Lewinsky. In a 2006 radio sermon attributed to him and now being circulated on the Internet, Wright lists what he says are America’s evils: its role as the No. 1 killer in the world, its imprisonment of Nelson Mandela, its support for Israel without regard for Palestinians, its radiation experiments on citizens, its creation of the AIDS crisis and its refusal to help blacks in this country.

In the sermon, Wright says America is selfish, self-centered, arrogant and ignorant. “In light of all these facts,” he says, “God has got to be sick of this s***.”



WOW. That is pretty ugly stuff. I know that if I were attending church and my pastor said anything remotely like that, I would be outta there. But instead, here's what Obama said:

"People who are familiar with the black church tradition know that Reverend Wright’s considered one of the greatest preachers in the country. Our church, Trinity United Church of Christ, even though it is part of a 95-, 97-percent white denomination, very much draws on the historical black church tradition, and Reverend Wright’s sermons do as well. And that means that sometimes he’s provocative in ways that I’m not always comfortable with and in ways that I deeply disagree with occasionally,” Obama told the Web site.


Only occasionally????

He also said that:

...he is “proud of Reverend Wright and what he’s done in his life.”

You can read the entire article here, if you're interested.

I don't think I would use the word "proud" in the same sentence as "Reverend Wright", especially if I were running for President.

And oh yeah, it would also be nice if Obama would give some actual specifics about all the hope and change he has in store for America. But I guess when you only allow yourself to be interviewed by Tyra and Ellen, and warm-fuzzy feelings are more valuable than substance, specifics are not required.

4 Comments:

Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

My feelings are really close to yours on Obama. Initially, I was drawn to him. I've read his second book. I like his attitude, his track record for bringing together differing sides on an issue and making a change, and even some of his more liberal ideas, even though I tend to vote conservatively.

I am nervous about his attitude about withdrawing troops. I think this can be done, and maybe it should be done, but I think HOW we do it needs to be really researched and done slowly and systematically. I don't know that he'll do that from what I've heard/read.

Your post is the second time I've heard reference to his church this week actually. Another friend of mine said she was concerned by his affiliation with this church--which she said was far from mainstream and quite liberal. It makes me want to research it further.

What I do know--right now no one stands out for me and no one gets my attention except for him. I'm not sure what that will mean for me when I vote...

11:54 PM  
Blogger babs said...

Funny, I'd been thinking about posting about Obama, but politics and religion are difficult to address. My problem with Obama is that he talks about hope and change, but has nothing to back it up. He's a great speaker and is getting everyone excited. But for what? Change for change sake? W was also very personable on the campaign trail. Sigh.

The other thing that annoys me is that our first real woman candidate is having to rely on her husband so much. It really bugs me that he's doing the "dirty work" for her. It seems dishonorable. And she refuses to come out and clarify what his role would really be in her presidency.

I don't know if I'm irritated enough by the 2 of them to "turn" republican, but I hate that I can't be all excited and embrace either one of them.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

I'm so glad to hear you guys feel the same! From what I see on TV, I thought I was the only one. A good friend of mine (who is a liberal)says she really, really likes McCain. Maybe he'll be the guy that people "in the middle" will turn to since he's not completely on the right.

That's interesting about Hillary relying so much on Bill. I think that's what's doing her in. She was probably having a coronary when Kennedy backed Obama today ;-)

I also with there was someone to be really excited about...

2:01 PM  
Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

Yep, it completely bugs me about Bill jumping in the big middle. One thing I was impressed with was an interview I saw with Obama's wife Michelle.

McCain is OK. I just don't know if he'll change much. Maybe he can. Someone needs to break through these two parties and make something happen...that's all that I know.

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home