My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

I'm a 38 year-old mother of three who was blessed enough to marry the right guy. I like to paint and create strange things out of clay and also read, write, run, drink and laugh. I have no idea where the time is going.

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Friday, January 04, 2008

reflecting on 2007

I normally don't really do anything to mark the new year but this time I'm going to participate in a meme from Babs' blog, just for fun! Here goes...

What did you do in 2007 that you’d never done before?
This was actually a great for me. I started running in March and ran my first 5K in September. I also started a small (very, very small) home business.

Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't do resolutions.

Did anyone close to you give birth?
Almost everyone! My sister-in-law, my best friend and my neighbor. All healthy, beautiful babies!

Did anyone close to you die?
The mom of one of my close friends.

What countries did you visit?
None and I'm really not disappointed about that.

What dates from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
None in particular.

What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Losing weight and getting back in shape.

What was your biggest failure?
Gaining some of it back over the holidays :-o

Did you suffer illness or injury?
None, and that's something I'm very grateful for.

What was the best thing you bought?
A soldering iron, glass and colored paper..to make pendants with.

Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Britney. Paris. Li Lo.

Where did most of your money go?
Cost of living! No fun at all...

What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Making a trip to Texas by myself in November to visit some good friends and see one of them run a marathon. That same friend just qualified for the Boston marathon on New Years day! Congrats, Jen! Twenty-six miles in three hours and 35 minutes..you are AWESOME!

What song will always remind you of 2007?
Big Hard Sun- Eddie Vedder

Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? 
b) thinner or fatter? 
c) richer or poorer?
I am thinner, happier and better off financially. Woo hoo!!!

What do you wish you’d done more of?
Savoring each moment instead of constantly planning the next big task.

What do you wish you’d done less of?
Having to deal with cafeteria ladies, dentists and other pains in my a**.

Did you fall in love in 2007?
Every day ;-) With my husband, of course!

How many one-night stands?
Not necessary :-O Believe me.

What was your favorite TV program?
Ghost Hunters.

What was the best book you read?
It's hard to decide between Water for Elephants and The Memory Keeper's Daughter.

What was your greatest musical discovery?
Rodrigo y Gabriella, Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova, Loudon Wainwright III, Eddie Vedder.

What did you want and get?
A ticket to the Ghost Hunter Spring Thaw at the Stanley Hotel!!!!

What did you want and not get?
A camcorder.

What was your favorite film of this year?
No Country for Old Men.

What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 34 and went on a date with my husband.

What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Becoming independently wealthy, of course!

What kept you sane?
Exercise, a new creative outlet, my husband and bourbon (not necessarily in that order).

Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
None. I can't stand celebrities.

What political issue stirred you the most?
The border crisis and how we are being overrun by people who sneak into our country, expect us to educate their children, pay thir hospital bills and still don't have the courtesy to learn our language. And to make it worse we accomodate them for political and economic reasons and actually make it easier for them to live here and not learn the language!!! Can you tell this pisses me off?

ALSO, the fact that as soon as things started turning around in Iraq because of the surge, all of a sudden you hear nothing about it in the press. I can almost hear the crickets chirping...

Who did you miss?
My friends in Texas.

Who was the best new person you met?
Believe it or not, I have come to know my husband's ex-girlfriend over the last couple of months (long story) and she is really cool! If she lived near me I think we'd hang out a lot. She is one of the only friends I have that understands my political angst.

Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007.
I learned that there is nothing to be afraid of. Life it too short to not try something new or make a new friend. Also, I've learned to be proactive with my emotional health. When I feel the blues coming on, I hit the trails and work it out through running.

Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Actually, I'll use an entire song:

The Middle
hey
don't write yourself off yet
it's only in your head you feel left out or looked down on
just try your best
try everything you can
and don't you worry what they tell themselves when you're away


hey you know they're all the same
you know you're doing better on your own so don't buy in
live right now
just be yourself
it doesn't matter if that's good enough for someone else


it just takes some time
little girl, you're in the middle of the ride
everything everything will be just fine
everything everything will be all right


do your best
do everything you can
don't you worry what their bitter hearts are going to say


Happy New Year!!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

Oooh--I loved No Country for Old Men too! Wasn't it just the ideal role for Tommy Lee Jones? Except I missed the last 2 minutes of the movie and it is driving me mad to know what happened. Can you fill me in?

That song is on my running list on my Ipod too. I wish I could pump it into my children's brains each night to get them through their teen years, don't you? (GRIN)

11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home