My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

I'm a 38 year-old mother of three who was blessed enough to marry the right guy. I like to paint and create strange things out of clay and also read, write, run, drink and laugh. I have no idea where the time is going.

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

domo arigato, mr. roboto, or not-o

I still recall, back in the late 1900's when I was in 6th grade. My school got its first computers and we were assigned a brand new class: Computer lab. For a semester we learned how to write programs in MS-DOS that would do breathtaking and useful things like make a happy face or other design on the screen. It was not very impressive, but the age of computers had arrived.

Years later, in my high school computer class I think the teachers were just as clueless as the students about what computers should be used for. There was still no Windows, at least at my school, so again I found myself writing useless programs for a semester. Life went on and eventually, in my sophomore year of college, I took another computer course, dubbed 'Computer Science'. Once more we had to learn about bits and bytes and all that, but they also kept mentioning this thing called the 'internet' and 'email' and how someday everyone would be doing everything with computers, even banking. Yeah right, I thought. One day I finally wandered down to the computer lab and figured out how to log in and get on the internet. Holy Moly. I couldn't believe there hadn't been a bigger deal made over that! How could I not have heard about it sooner??? And email? WOW. Instant gratification. I walked away feeling a little overwhelmed with the whole experience, but I was hooked.

Today, as a stay-at-home mom, my life has been profoundly affected by modern technology. My computer is used to pay bills and file taxes, keep up with family and friends, sell creations in my own shop and of course, write stories in this blog. It's an outlet I can't imagine living without. Being able to shop online is life changing for me. When you don't have to drag three boys from store to store and hope to get the best deal, instead easily comparison shopping online, the cost of shipping is worth every penny.

There's also WebMD, a great source to draw from when one of us get sick (even if it annoys our doctor). And I like to think that life is made a little bit harder for child predators out there since many people know where they live. I love the freedom my computer has given me. Also my iPod, digital camera and DVR. We have saved untold hours of our lives being able to skip past commercials.

However, there is a downside to this hyper-techno culture. Mostly having to do with the boys. Our family has been slow to buy up every electronic toy available for entertainment and I almost wish we hadn't caved in at all. Ever since my son got his Nintendo DS for Christmas, he as all but stopped his writing endeavors. Whenever he has a moment of boredom, he heads straight for his video games. We're beginning to put a stop to that but it still worries me. Sometimes it seems like the things that are supposed to bring us together, the amazing variety of communication and educational gadgets we have, are actually pulling us apart and dumbing us down.

A while back I read a child-psychology book that had an entire chapter dedicated to TV and other electronic influences. By the end of the chapter I was very alarmed and told my husband, "No more TV for the boys. Ever." That was a little extreme, but after what I'd read, it seemed to be the best idea. The book basically said, in very persuasive terms, that by plugging a child into the TV you are stealing the chance for them to develop a rich inner life and depriving their imaginations of room to flourish. Basically, TV cheats them of their childhood. Pretty scary, if you ask me.

But TV is always going to be part of our culture and our home so I just need to manage it better. I'm really trying to cut down on the mindless, obnoxious cartoons the boys love so much. It's been very hard to break the habit of turning it on when they get bored and start jumping on the furniture. Sometimes I really need some time to myself to get things done or just make a phone call uninterrupted, and the TV comes in very handy for that.

At least I know that I'll never buy a car with a TV in it. No matter how convenient it may be for me, I think the boys need that time to just let their minds run wild. A little boredom in the car can lead to new ideas, plans and schemes. I still recall gazing out the window of our blue VW van and daydreaming as we rolled down the road, counting telephone poles and wondering how far they went. Or thinking of a new project to work on when we got home. That's what I want my boys to remember, not reruns of SpongeBob.

So I'll continue my love/hate relationship with all the techno doo-dads in our lives and try to make the best decisions for my kids. Life in the information age can definitely be a blessing and a curse. So until someone comes up with a time machine to take me back to Walnut Grove and be best friends with Laura Ingalls, I guess I'll just have to deal with it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

Boy, do I hear you on this one. I have to really restrict TV. I could write a mile long one on that--but I've already done that to you this week, haven't I? (grin)

My biggest beef with TV in the car--that's the main time when I can get my son to talk to me. Boys seem to talk more to their parents when they're occupied or they see their parent doing something. For us it is the car. I will never have a TV because I learn more about my son on a 15 minute ride to piano lessons than I ever do at home!

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home