My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

I'm a 38 year-old mother of three who was blessed enough to marry the right guy. I like to paint and create strange things out of clay and also read, write, run, drink and laugh. I have no idea where the time is going.

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

merry christmas 2007: making of the band

A couple weeks ago I was lamenting the fact that this may be the last Christmas where all three boys still believe in Santa.

Then one night as I was reading them a bedtime story, Cole asked, "Mom, what if there is no Santa? What if you are Santa?"

My heart skipped a beat but I managed to blurt out a response that wasn't exactly deceitful, "Well how on earth would I get toys to all the children of the world?"

"Oh," he said. Apparently I managed to postpone the inevitable for a while longer.

It turned out to be a better Christmas than we've had in years. Nobody was sick and we started a new tradition: a Christmas Eve party! Based on one of my husband's family traditions, we invited our family, friends and neighbors over for eggnog, wine and lots of food. At first I wasn't sure if anyone would come, but we had a good turn out and everyone seemed to have fun. Here are the boys in their Christmas outfits: During the party our neighbors were telling us about their plans to go to Breckenridge on Christmas day and ended up inviting us, too. We've never been so of course we said yes. On Christmas morning we awoke to a heavy snow (and a tad bit if a hangover) and watched the boys open their gifts. Then we packed up everything we owned and headed to the mountains. It was my first time to go through the Eisenhower tunnel, a three mile pass that actually goes under the continental divide. On our side all the rivers flow to the Atlantic and on the other, to the Pacific. Pretty cool. The scenery was amazing and we arrived safely. It was a beautiful condo that even had a heated parking garage. We felt very hoity toity. But shortly after enjoying a delicious dinner with our neighbors, we discovered we'd left the most important bag at home: the toiletry bag. For a guy it's no big deal, but for me, I was pretty much high and dry. No conditioner, lotion, make-up, brush. I borrowed a few things from my neighbor but felt bad about using her stuff. Then we settled in for the night with two of the boys on a pull-out sofa and us on a bed. The third boy was on an inflatable bed which for some reason lost its air in the middle of the night. Then the people above us started making noise around 1am until 3am. It was a long night and the boys woke up in foul moods. We decided to cut our losses and head back early. Thankfully our neighbors were understanding and did not taunt us too much.

One of the best parts of this Christmas was seeing the boys with their new instruments. Cole asked for a trumpet, Clayton a Les Paul electric guitar, and Cooper a toy guitar. Clayton seems to be a natural and has already learned some chords from his Dad.



Last night when they were getting ready for bed, we heard Clayton whisper to Cole, "Do you know why I'm so good at the lee-lectric guitar? Because Santa's magic is on it."

If only they could all believe for a few more years.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

Look at you in your cute boots! I felt the same way about this year. I think my son may know...he kept loudly professing how he believes and making comments like that. He said he saw Santa a few years ago and his reindeer one night and that's why he believes. But, as we were watching some holiday specials he questioned some things. Then, as we were leaving carrots for the reindeer before bed Xmas Eve, he said "8 carrots for 8 reindeer." I said, "Why don't you leave one more for Rudolph?" He looked at me questioningly and said, "But, Mom. Rudolph isn't REAL."

I played it off with a "Well, I really don't know if is he is or not, but I'd leave an extra anyway in case one of the reindeer is more hungry."

Whew!

My daughter is 5 years younger, so I really live in fear of it being ruined for her early. I hope he will keep quiet if he does figure it all out.

Isn't it great though that we got at least one more Christmas with our older ones believing? I feel so blessed!

4:50 PM  
Blogger babs said...

Funny, I was gonna comment just like crazy momcat: Look at you in your cute jumper!

My mom has always thrown a party on Christmas Eve, and I agree that it's an awesome tradition.

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home