My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

I'm a 38 year-old mother of three who was blessed enough to marry the right guy. I like to paint and create strange things out of clay and also read, write, run, drink and laugh. I have no idea where the time is going.

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Thursday, October 19, 2006

family folklore

I read something recently reminding me of how important it is to tell your children stories about your life to keep the "family folklore" alive. So last night as I was visiting with my oldest boy, as is custom at bedtime each night, I decided to tell him a story about his Aunt Lisa. A story my mother had told me many times when I was little.

One day my mom and sister were at the mall doing some shopping. My sister was very small, maybe two or three. As they were coming to the top of an escalator my sister put her hands down on a step and was about to have them pulled under the grates at the top of the escalator. Out of nowhere, as the story goes, a man swooped down and picked her up, saving her fingers from being pulled into the machinery. He handed her off to my mom and disappeared before she could even say think you. According to my mom, he must have been an angel. Possibly my sister's personal guardian angel. There at the right place, the right time, and then disappearing mysteriously.

Cole was captivated by the story. But I didn't realize just what an impression it made until a while later he told my husband that the story "made him feel like crying tears of joy." This from a very non-melodramatic kind of kid. So I know he really meant it.

Just wait until he hears some of the other tidbits we've got hidden in our collective family histories. Stories involving bb guns, leopard frogs, haunted houses, scrapes with death and ex-boyfriends and girlfriends. Well, maybe we'll leave that last part out. Some things aren't worth keeping in the family folklore. I'm sure my mom would agree. Just ask her about "Torchy", but be sure to duck after you do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home