My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

I'm a 38 year-old mother of three who was blessed enough to marry the right guy. I like to paint and create strange things out of clay and also read, write, run, drink and laugh. I have no idea where the time is going.

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Thursday, August 17, 2006

first grader!



At the end of last school year I'd heard about a great first grade teacher named Mrs. B and that I should try to request her for my son. Well of course the school doesn't take "requests" because every parent would be wanting their kid in the popular teacher's class and it would cause lots of problems. So at first I prayed, "Please oh please let him get Mrs. B next year...he really needs her after having such a horrific kindergarten experience." But then, I decided to change my prayer a little bit and ask for the best teacher for him, instead of who I thought that might be. From past experience I've found that usually works best because believe it or not, I'm don't always know everything.

So he didn't get Mrs. B, he got Mr. R. Hmmmm. A male first grade teacher? I didn't know what to expect. But after his first few days of first grade, I have to say he is the perfect fit for our son. He has been teaching first grade for 18 years and feels that it's the most important year for laying the groundwork of a child's education. He is calm, patient and approachable. He is just plain awesome and I know he's an answered prayer. I'd always heard about how teachers can really make a difference but after last year I had a bad attitude about them. What kind of school would assign a former Navy officer to teach kindergarten? Her aggressive nature scared even me. Thankfully she has gone on to another school so I don't have to worry about the middle boy getting her next year.

Anyway, it has been an exciting week. And I'm actually looking forward to this school year.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like Mr. R is just right! I am sorry for the previous teacher experience. It really can make or break your education. Hope he does well!

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home