My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

I'm a 38 year-old mother of three who was blessed enough to marry the right guy. I like to paint and create strange things out of clay and also read, write, run, drink and laugh. I have no idea where the time is going.

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Friday, March 21, 2008

ten years down, forever to go

Today is our ten year anniversary but we celebrated last night because it worked out better for the family that kept the boys while we were gone. Months ago we had entertained the idea of going on a week-long cruise for this anniversary but circumstances did not lend themselves to that we so we downgraded our plans. Turns out it was better this way because we were missing the boys almost instantly and couldn't imagine being away for a week on a ship far away.



Instead we stayed the night at a historic B&B in Denver called the Castle Marne. I found it online and was drawn to it because it looked haunted (I didn't tell my husband this of course- he doesn't go for that kind of thing). Once we checked in and were settled, I sat in the living room area to read the scrapbook they had with clippings about the home. Lo and behold, I didn't have to read far to find out it was haunted! There was the story of a little girl who knocks on the door of a certain room and when no one opens it she walks right through and transforms into a mist. Another story was about a crew of workers doing renovations in 1989 that witnessed the apparition of a little girl come running down the stairs, out the front door and into a stagecoach waiting for her. It then vanished. They even had an article that listed the Castle Marne on a list of haunted hotels in the Denver area, just second to the Stanley...where I'll be in just one week with the ghost hunters! Hot damn! I was so excited. I kicked myself for not bringing my new voice recorder to practice my EVP work. But I guess that's not exactly a romantic thing to do on an anniversary date.



The B&B was beautiful and the hosts were so welcoming and gracious. Our room was on the third floor. It was described as the most private room in the home, which was true, but they forgot to mention it was tiny. The hot tub took up the entire balcony. Then we made the mistake of reading the journal they had out for guests to write in. ICK! You wouldn't believe what those people wrote! There were a few normal people who said things like, "We enjoyed our stay at the Castle Marne and hope to return soon. Very relaxing and beautiful." But then there were pages and pages of stories about what people had done in that room on their honeymoons, anniversaries and basically any other occasion you can think of. They wrote about their trysts in the hot tub, the claw-footed bathroom tub and also pointed out how creaky the bed was. We were grossed out. Who wants to think about hundreds of strangers sleeping in the bed you're in who, guessing by their writings, lack any class or character. Yuck.

Anyway, after taking a stroll around the historic district to see the amazing old houses (which was like a breath of fresh air to two people who live in the plain jane suburbs, believe me) we headed to dinner. It was a restaurant recommended by the B&B owners and it did not disappoint. Our waiter was perfect and the food was dee-lish. And for once we didn't over do it and eat to the point of discomfort. After dinner we headed to "Sing Sing," a piano bar down by Coors Field. We were the early birds and one of the first couples there but it slowly filled up. The piano players were awesome and had lots of entertaining bits like turning on a smoke machine during Bohemian Rhapsody and flashing disco lights across the crowd. It was really fun and we plan to go back on a regular basis.

After that, we headed back to the B&B where we relaxed in the hot tub with a bottle of champagne. We didn't stay in there long and took a hot shower before going to bed. I still don't feel clean (really, what compels people to share so much information???).

I forgot to mention that it was a double bed and after being used to a king, we were hardly able to sleep a wink. On a better note, I swear I heard small, child-like footsteps in our room this morning and I didn't freak out. Maybe I can handle the Stanley after all.

***************************************************************

I really can't believe it's been ten years. Years ago I remember my mom saying that choosing the person I'd marry was the most important decision I'd ever make in my life. That turned out to be very true advice. Thankfully, I made the right choice. I have been able to share my life with a man who loves me, builds me up and has never hurt me in any way. He is a blessing in my life, more than I could ever have imagined or hoped for and I thank God for him every day.

2 Comments:

Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

Yay for you! And look at you rockin' that cute anniversary dress too. Congrats on 10 years!

10:48 PM  
Blogger babs said...

Congrats! I agree the pic is way cute... And god, I can't believe people would write crap like that?!? Talk about totally taking away the mood. I'd almost have asked for a different room.

Can't wait to hear the stories about the Stanley!

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home