My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

I'm a 38 year-old mother of three who was blessed enough to marry the right guy. I like to paint and create strange things out of clay and also read, write, run, drink and laugh. I have no idea where the time is going.

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

mama says om theme: whimsy

His first tooth fell out this week during Sunday School and he smugly presented it to us in a zip-lock baggie when we picked him up. He was beaming with pride and I think a little relieved to be "keeping up" with his friends who have already started losing theirs.

After carrying it around all day and showing it to anyone who would look, he later forgot about it. I stumbled upon the bag on his bedroom floor. An empty bag. O no.

I felt all over the carpet frantically but had no luck. I informed my husband of the missing tooth and he said no problem, we'd make another. He searched the kitchen and began carving a replacement from a white plastic bottle top. But I spotted a dried up piece of cream cheese, not too white, not too big, just right. We put it in the bag and hoped he wouldn't crumble it when placing it under his pillow later that night. That would be bad.

It went as planned and after I was certain he was asleep I tip-toed in, retrieved the cream cheese nugget and replaced it with some shiny quarters and dimes. The finishing touch was some gold dust my mom had handed down to me from her tooth-fairy days. I still remember how delighted I was to find the whimsical sprinkling of fairy dust under my pillow. It was more thrilling than finding the actual money. I used to get pieces of scotch tape and lift samples gently off the covers to save in my jewelry box.

Around three in the morning I was up for some water and stopped by his room to cover him up since he always kicks the covers off. He was half awake when I came in and said, "Guess what? The tooth fairy has been here!" And he drifted off again.

In the morning he was up at the crack of dawn to show us his treasure and I couldn't help but notice that he said nothing of the gold dust. I went into his room and saw that it was under his pillow but his cotton sheets had absorbed most of it and it didn't appear shiny. Just a brownish smear. I touched it with my finger and saw a shimmer. "Come here!" I said and showed him the fairy dust. His little brother touched it and tasted it, of course. And then began licking it off the bed. We panicked, not knowing what 30 year-old metallic dust might actually consist of, and shooed him out of the room. His elder toothless brother seemed a little detached and unimpressed. And I found out why today. He told me he thought he must have accidentally smooshed her to have left a smudge on his bed like that. He was taking personal responsibility for killing the tooth fairy.

After explaining to him that she was fine and the dust was just from her wings as she was delivering the money in exchange for his tooth, I wondered how it had become so complicated. I have friends who don't do the tooth fairy thing. They feel it is dishonest. And now I wonder if little white lies are worth it to try to spin some childhood magic. You just never know where they can lead...


for other mamas on "whimsy" check out mama says om

8 Comments:

Blogger Elaine said...

So glad he didn't actually smoosh the tooth fairy. That would have been a hard rap to carry through school.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Left-handed Trees... said...

HA! This was so funny...I am continually amazed by what children will come up with. Glad you let him know she's still alive and well...she visits here, too!

11:34 AM  
Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

It totally cracks me up that you replaced the tooth with a crumble of cream cheese. Ingenious! My son read a Franklin the Turtle book where Franklin wants a visit from the tooth fairy and tries to trick her with a rock, so he searches for rocks for that purpose now. He's lost 4 teeth already, so he said he wants to put it under his sister's pillow to see if they can "fake the fairy out." HA!

7:26 PM  
Blogger mandaroo63 said...

Our tooth fairy leaves fairy dust also. My daughter gets really excited with it all! Even though she's 7, she still believes, and I'll let her as long as she likes.....thanks for the laugh, that was a cute story.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

What a beautiful story. What a thoughtful boy. I never thought of the dust.

Good for you for finding that cream cheese. It's good to know in case I need a last minute replacement. ;o)

1:51 PM  
Blogger Lisabell said...

You do realize, of course, that while he watched his little brother lick the dust off the sheets? At that time, he thought his brother was licking ... smooshed tooth fairy goo.

I'm just sayin'.

12:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A cream cheese tooth!!!!I love it, too funny! Your sweet son, all worried about the tooth fairy, I'm glad he found out the truth, just some dust.

7:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it!
kia dealer maquires car wax cpi 3000 cobra Alyson hannigan cumshot car dupont wax freeware spam filter review Dennis ma livery auto polish Philadelphia license plate frames wholesale Motorcycle newssearch productsebaydiamond luster car wax Ms sql server web hosting meguriars car wax travel insurance Hot wax car oceanside ca

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home