My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

I'm a 38 year-old mother of three who was blessed enough to marry the right guy. I like to paint and create strange things out of clay and also read, write, run, drink and laugh. I have no idea where the time is going.

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Sunday, March 11, 2007

spring has sprung

It finally happened about a week ago. I reached the point where I decided it's about time to do something about this roll of skin that spills out of my jeans when I bend over. There will be no more babies in this baby pocket I've grown, so it's time for the pocket to go!

My husband has always been so flattering and supportive that for the last three years I've been sinking further into denial that I'm getting more and more out of shape with every passing day. And as my doctor so kindly explained to me at my last check-up, as I age it will be easier to gain and harder to lose these extra pounds.

So for a week now I've changed my way of thinking and eating.

No more snacking (not even cheese nips, dammit).
I will eat green things every day.
I don't need to feel like I'm about to pop after very meal.
It will not kill me to feel a hunger pang (gasp) every now and then.
No eating or drinking after 5:30.
Only one drinky drink a week.
No more making chocolate chip cookies just for fun.

And I have taken up running. And I hate running.

But you know what? After just seven days, I see and feel a difference. I thought that after six years and three babies worth of damage, I would have to be patient. But I already feel better. My skin is better, my clothes fit better, and I think I might just get into this running thing.

An iPod would be great so I could listen to Melissa Etheridge for inspiration. Am I the only one who tears up when she sings, "I Run for Life"? I swear that song gives me goosebumps.

But seriously, with my family history of cancer, heart disease and diabetes, I really need to take control. I'm not getting any younger.

I want to set an example for my children and be an inspiration for my husband, as he has been for me. I want to be the mom at the pool this summer that the other moms look at and think "bitch".

This past week as I was conscious of everything I ate, I have become hyper-aware of every commercial I see and hear and it is amazing. No wonder so many Americans are overweight and in debt. There is a constant drumbeat of, "Eat more than you need!" and "Spend more than you have!" And if you're not really thinking about it, it sneaks up and seeps into your subconscious. Our capitalistic society is not into self-control or self-denial in any way, shape or form. Our economy may be doing great, but we need to wake up!

Anyway, my rebellious nature is now fueled to rebel against the marketing machines of corporate fast-food America and that will be my strength!

So as Melissa says, "I run for your mother, your sister, your wife. I run for you and I my friend. I run for life!"

3 Comments:

Blogger Movin Mom said...

Oh you are so a week ahead of me. I want to be where you are mentally....and yet here I am commenting on the computer.


That's it I have to get out there. I just ate a miniature kit kat bar. last one.

i am going to join in on your new lease on life.

thanks for the inspired moment....may it last me at least a week.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

Wow. You go girl!

I love that I run song as well, and have meant to download it for my Ipod. Thanks for the reminder!

Some advice though--not eating after 5:30 p.m. until the next day won't help your metabolism burn fat as you want it to. Trust me. I speak from experience. My trainer advised that I eat 5 mini meals, versus 3 and no snacks. It keeps your blood sugar even throughout the day, which helps fend off cravings and stuff.

Give it a try! You never feel hungry either, which is great. I am now recommitting to not eat anything after 8 p.m. though, because you've inspired me.

GOOD LUCK!

1:04 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Thanks for the tips, Crazy MomCat! I need all the help I can get! Maybe we can all keep reminding each other of our goals in our weaker momenys!

8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home