My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

I'm a 38 year-old mother of three who was blessed enough to marry the right guy. I like to paint and create strange things out of clay and also read, write, run, drink and laugh. I have no idea where the time is going.

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Monday, January 12, 2009

so this is it?

It seems that for the last ten years we've been trying to get somewhere. We've been in constant motion: Changing jobs, changing houses, even changing states. Having babies, raising babies, trying to survive the babies and always trying improve our situation.

On New Year's Day it all seemed to stop for me. Instead of being excited about what may come, I felt like I'd hit a wall. Like I was just about to live another rerun of last year. No longer were we trying to get somewhere, we had finally arrived at the place we'd wanted to be for so long. The place we'd worked so hard to get to.

This is it. We've reached the point of inertia. We have all the children we'll ever have, we're in the home that we'll most likely be in until the boys are raised and maybe even after that, and my husband has the job he's worked years to get and will probably retire from in 30 years or so (and that's if all goes well). This is it.

From here on out, each day will be very similar, and that's if we're lucky. Work, school, laundry, dishes, homework, bathtime and bedtime. Hanging out with friends now and then, a few good shows to watch on TV, a vacation here and there and before we know it, BAM. We're dead. And what was the point?

I know I sound ungrateful but I'm not. I'm more than thankful for my husband and healthy, beautiful children. I'm thankful for my own health. I'm thankful for our home and my husband's job. Believe me, I don't take these things for granted. I actually love my life, I'm exactly where I always wanted to be. But now that I'm here I just think there has to be more.

This just can't be it.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, not "just it". When everything starts to feel a little stagnant, that is the perfect time to begin a new season in your life. Take some classes, get a part time job; something to enrich YOU after all the time you have invested enriching others.

8:39 PM  
Blogger babs said...

I've felt this way before... I think this is when you get out your "bucket list". You've got the big things in your life figured out, so you finally have the breathing room to strive for those things you want to do before you kick the bucket.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Thanks for the encouragement, guys ;-) I feel MUCH better this month but I think you're right...it's time to look into new adventures!

2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just now reading this old post, but I can relate so I wanted to comment. I think this happens to SAHMs a lot. For me, all it takes is trying something new. Take music lessons, join a sports league, start a moms' night out with some friends, etc. And, one thing you have to realize, this time we have with our kids is going to go by SO fast. TOO fast. I'm already realizing that thanks to some older friends who are facing their kids leaving home soon. I hope you have lots of great adventures to come, Nicole!

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home