My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

I'm a 38 year-old mother of three who was blessed enough to marry the right guy. I like to paint and create strange things out of clay and also read, write, run, drink and laugh. I have no idea where the time is going.

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

snacktime

The very first kid's CD I ever bought came with a book called Howdi Do by Woody Guthrie. Cole was just a few months old and I had not yet been introduced to the sub-genre of children's music. I popped it into the car CD player on the way to pick my husband up from work and was amazed at how baby Cole immediately grew quiet, listening intently.

Howjee, heejee, hijee, hojee,
Howdi do, sir, doodle-do.
Howdi doosle, doodle-doozie,
Howdi do, howdi do.
Howjee, hojee, heejee, hijee,
Howdi do!


It was so fun and catchy and it has since become a family classic. They love to read the book and listen to the song over and over.

But since then, the only children's music I've heard is either sung by what sounds like creepy ghost children in a choir or the terrible "Kid's Bop" CD's they advertise mercilessly during Spongebob. Twelve year-old girls dressed up like hookers singing Brittany Spears songs and making me very glad I have all boys.

...Until this week. On my way somewhere (Lowe's' probably since I practically live there now), I heard a song called Pollywog in a Bog by, believe it or not, the Barenaked Ladies. It was so cute and so catchy that I went right out an bought their new CD, Snacktime.



It's a collection of 25 songs, written and performed by the band, just for children. The great thing about it is it's really good music, not just dreck someone whipped up to make a buck off an innocent crowd. The boys love it and I find myself listening to it even when they're not in the car with me.

So for anyone who has children, or doesn't have children, if you want to hear some music that will make you smile and even laugh out loud, this is the CD for you. Just don't tell the little ones the name of the band like I did. You'll never live it down.

3 Comments:

Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

My son has started putting on the Sirrus kids music during dinnertime sometimes and we've been hearing Barenaked Ladies' kids songs on there and they are great!

I also high recommend our family favorite--Trout Fishing in America. We have the past two CDs they have put out (we like the one before the most recent the best--the one with 18 wheels on the big rig song) and my kids love them! They're silly, but fun to sing to and my husband and I like them just as much as the kids!

Congrats on the great new house, by the way! I have been enjoying your house posts!

2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://erockforkids.com/music.html
is a big band of rock and fun that you may like.

We love it.
san

8:51 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Thanks for the recommendations MomCat and San...I'll look into those! You can never have too much good music in your life ;-)

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home