My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

I'm a 38 year-old mother of three who was blessed enough to marry the right guy. I like to paint and create strange things out of clay and also read, write, run, drink and laugh. I have no idea where the time is going.

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Friday, April 13, 2007

would you risk your life for a cool piece of furniture off of craigslist, cuz i would

A few days ago I found the cutest little "shabby chic" dresser on craigslist. I sent the guy ("George") an email and waited but he didn't respond. So I called the number he had in his ad (I hate calling these people- they are usually nuts) and he answered. He was obviously intoxicated and said he was unable to help me with it right then because he was in Vegas next to a swimming pool. Another lady had called about it, too, but he would sell it to me because I "sounded cuter." Okay, I'll take that- the dresser and the compliment from a drunk man in Vegas.

So I joked to my husband about our exchange and told him I would be picking it up the next day. I could see his red alert radar go off but he remained cool. So then the guy called to comfirm the pick-up time and my gallant husband rushed to grab the phone. "Hello? Yes, would you like to take to my WIFE, Nicole?" And he handed it to me. The guy was still drunk and calling from a different place on his way back from Vegas. To me, he sounded like a fifty-something Italian man who liked to talk a lot. We bantered about the weirdos one may come across when dealing with craigslist (the irony of which was lost on George) and finalized the plans.

After I hung up, my breathless husband explained that I should not be going by myself to pick up a dresser from some guy I don't know. I said I was a good judge of character and this guy was harmless. He insisted I take a weapon and be prepared to use it. He said that if the guy tried anything he would "make him wish he had died in a fire as a child." I agreed but he was annoyed with the smirk on my face. I enjoyed seeing him in "protective mode" and couldn't help it.

Plans changed and my husband ended up going with me get the dresser. I was glad he did because it was in a seedy little house and George was a little shifty. But overall, he was a nice guy and he didn't even slit my throat when I backed out of the deal. It just didn't look like it had in the picture.

It's good to know that whenever I need a little extra attention and lovin' from my hubby, all I have to do is strike a deal on a crappy piece of furniture and mention breezily that I'll be going downtown to get it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home