My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

I'm a 38 year-old mother of three who was blessed enough to marry the right guy. I like to paint and create strange things out of clay and also read, write, run, drink and laugh. I have no idea where the time is going.

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Saturday, May 27, 2006

time marches on

Our oldest son finished kindergarten last Thursday and they actually had a "graduation ceremony" with hats and everything. At first, I was a little annoyed. I mean, it's kindergarten, not Harvard. It seemed like another example of our society's trend toward celebrating mediocrity.

But I have to admit, it was pretty cute and they sang some great songs. One included the line: "I have something in my pocket, I'll take it out and put it on...it's a great big first grade smile!!" They even closed it by linking arms and doing high kicks while singing "da da da da da" to the 'New York, New York' melody.

Pretty funny.

They asked each kid as they were handed their "diploma" what they want to be when they grow up and ours said, "a motorcycle man and a pilot." Big dreams from a little man. Other kids had aspirations of being rock stars or soldiers. And many of the little girls said they wanted to be moms. "Aaawwww," the crowd said. But I noticed that not one single little boy said he wanted to be a dad. Not one. single. boy. Hmmmmmm....

Anyway, here's our guy getting his first "degree", hopefully the first of many.



And here he is with his proud brother posing for a picture. Why so serious little man? Maybe you're getting the feeling that this kindergarten thing wasn't a one time gig? Maybe you can feel the algebra and cafeteria lunches right around the corner?



Oh you couldn't pay me enough to do what he's about to do for the next 12 to 18 years. But thankfully he's still young, naive and dreaming of motorcycles...

3 Comments:

Blogger babs said...

how funny... they totally ripped off that song from one I knew as a brownie! It went: "there's something in my pocket, and it belongs upon my face... I keep it very close at hand, in a most familiar place... blah blah blah... It's a great big brownie smile!"

but other than that, I'm glad they have that ceremony! it's important to mark these important moments in life. AND he looked so darn cute in his little cap!

10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats to your little man. The program sounds adorable!

6:15 PM  
Blogger Tamara said...

We are in a time warp. That's all I have to say.
I have really missed your blog! Glad to be back in your world again.

7:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home