My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

I'm a 38 year-old mother of three who was blessed enough to marry the right guy. I like to paint and create strange things out of clay and also read, write, run, drink and laugh. I have no idea where the time is going.

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

that's what i like about him

We went to Wal-Mart today looking for a couple of new shovels. Last week's blizzard did ours in as well the one we borrowed from our neighbors. Thankfully it wasn't too crowded, but still, herding three small boys around a super store isn't always easy. They have a tendency to get distracted (who doesn't?) and stop in the middle of the aisle usually right in front of an elderly person with no patience for small people. I'm constantly reminding them,

"Watch out! Pay attention to your surroundings!"


and apologizing to the people who have to stop their carts to keep from running them over. They usually smile tight little smiles of annoyance and keep moving. The boys have no clue they're causing a traffic jam.

So today as we were making our way through to the shovel section I said, "Watch out, Clayton. You're in his way," referring to the ornery man glaring at us. Clayton grudgingly moved to the side and muttered loud enough for all to hear, "Noooo...he's in our way!"

And I thought, "Damn right!" Who's to say that we are in their way??? Everyone has such a sense of entitlement these days and I vow to not raise self-centered children, but he has a point. Why should we always be the ones to go around other people? Why should we duck our heads in polite submission to all the people in such a big hurry? They don't own that store! We're spending our money just like they are. So screw it. I've been trying to raise polite children but in the meantime sending them the message that we have less rights than everyone else. That we are "in the way". No more.

If only I had the confidence and spunk of my four-year old son. That boy is going to go places.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home