My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

I'm a 38 year-old mother of three who was blessed enough to marry the right guy. I like to paint and create strange things out of clay and also read, write, run, drink and laugh. I have no idea where the time is going.

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

christmas surprise

Part of the reason I've dropped off of the blogging radar for most of the past month is that I've had some "projects" going on. Christmas projects. I really wanted most of my gifts this year to be original and made by me. I managed to do a couple of paintings and then...there's the desk.

A couple of months ago my oldest son said he wanted his own desk because he just didn't have enough space to draw. So the wheels started turning and since then I've been working on it bit by bit. Since it was a secret I couldn't work on it during the day since I have an entourage following me around the house every waking moment. So I worked on it at night in the basement. The cold, cold basement.

I started with a desk I found on craigslist for $35. When my husband sanded it for me he discovered that it's made of mohogany. I love good old finds!! I wanted something with good "bones" for starters. They just don't make furniture like they used to. Here is the beginning product:





And here is the end result of hours and hours in the cold, cold basement:





I based it on a theme of exploring the mountains, seas and space. I decoupaged his face and his brothers onto the fishermen and the scuba diver finding treasures under the water. Around the desktop I painted in gold: create, love, imagine, smile, believe, sing, dream, give, be, think, draw, write, rest, paint, wonder, play, read, laugh, explore, fly.



On Christmas morning he saw it but didn't get as excited as I'd hoped...but later in the day he was already at work:



So it was worth it all, even if Santa got all the credit. Now I just need to paint the chair...

3 Comments:

Blogger Lisabell said...

Beautiful! It's even more magnificent in person -- I'll bet Cole's kids will be using that same desk someday...

11:29 PM  
Blogger babs said...

wow. If only I had such a good excuse for the lack of blogging! You know, about 20 years from now, Cole will be BLOWN AWAY that you made that desk just for him. It's pretty dang awesome. :)

6:06 PM  
Blogger Movin Mom said...

I am so impressed.
very artistic and creative,

missed tour blog for a while. I am glad I refound it.

11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home