My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado, United States

I'm a 38 year-old mother of three who was blessed enough to marry the right guy. I like to paint and create strange things out of clay and also read, write, run, drink and laugh. I have no idea where the time is going.

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]

Friday, July 07, 2006

God Bless America!

I returned from my trip to D.C. on Wednesday afternoon. We had a busy and well-planned schedule and I was impressed at the stamina of the 60 and 70-something-year-old pilots throughout the week. I really had a hard time keeping up, especially during the parade when we had to wait almost 4 hours in 100+ degree heat and humidity before we even started marching. I started wondering what they would do with my limp body when I hit the pavement. Would they carry me to side as not to slow down the procession or would they call the paramedics? I actually made it to the end, though. I was proud to be walking with the veterans and was touched by the reaction of the crowd. Although Vietnam was obviously a devisive war for our country, all along the parade route people were shouting, "Thank you!" and giving standing ovations to the veterans. It was well-deserved and a long time in coming for many.

My trip began with a visit to the National Cathedral. It had an Episcopal service and they really made me wish our church could pull off a service like that every week. The choir sounded truly angelic and their voices resonated up into the arches. And I usually don't even enjoy choir music. The sheer size of the cathedral made me feel small, yet sheltered. It was amazing to think it was the same place they had services for President Reagan when he passed away in 2004.



The next day I was able to accompany my Dad and one of his fallen comrade's widows to Arlington National Cemetery. Once again, I was overcome by the sheer size and meaning of such a sacred place. I had never known the history of it, how it used to be the home of Robert E. Lee before he refused to lead the north against the south and took his family to Virginia. He was considered a traitor and they began burying bodies of soldiers in his wife's rose garden to make sure he would never return. He eventually sued the government and they paid him $150,000 for his land and that's what is now Arlington. There are about 300,000 buried there so far and right now they are burying about 24 each day. At this rate, they think it will be full in about 40 to 50 years. It is mind-boggling to see the white markers in their neat rows going on and on and on. And just when you think you're at the end, you come around a corner and there are still more. A heavy reminder of just how much our freedom is not free. One of the quotes I heard on the tour was that "war is when we use man's best to do man's worst." I regret I don't know who originally said that but I thought it was so true. We saw the changing of the guard and although I was disappointed it was not the Marines guarding the Tomb of the Unknown soldier, I was impressed by the discipline of the Army soldiers. Those that guard the Tomb take a vow to never drink or swear again as a sign of respect and honor for their duty. It was a living memorial to the fallen.



One of the most important parts of the trip for the many pilots and families, was the visit to the Wall. I had never been there before and was bracing myself. I'd seen pictures of it but what I'd heard was true, seeing it in person is powerful. As I walked down the Wall engraved with the names of those we lost in Vietnam, over 58,000, it kept growing and growing. It started out low and then rose above my head. The names go on and on. I imagined how it would be to see the name of my father on the Wall. Or of my husband or sons. I was thankful that my Dad was standing beside me, his name not etched in stone. He brought a copy of his book to leave at the panel with three of his friends on it. It was painful to see his heartache and regret. We then went to the panel with the name of our friend's husband on it. They had been married only four years and had a 10 month-old son when he died in a crash. I was wondering what her reaction would be as we came to his name. She immediately spun around, grabbed my hand and the hand of another to form a circle. She prayed a prayer of thanksgiving for her husband's life and the lives of all those who were listed on that wall. Her faith had gotten her through it all and it inspired me as we stood there. She did not question why it happened or feel sorry for herself as a widow. She has since gone on to live an active and full life, and not be paralyzed by her loss. I felt honored to have met her and been there with her at the Wall.




The reunion was full of many delicious meals and dancing and the beer and wine flowed freely. I saw all the things I'd hoped to see: the Lincoln, Jefferson, and WWII Memorials, the Washington Monument, even the Watergate Hotel. We even had private dinners inside the Smithsonian Air and Space museum and the National Building Museum. I was just amazed at how the city was so chock full of history. I was also ashamed at my lack of real knowledge of our country's history and will be going to the library to remedy that very soon. It's funny how they could make history seem so dull in school when really it's fascinating. I can't wait to learn more and teach my boys along with me.

The VHPA (Vietnam helicopter Pilot's Association) brought along four models of helicopters they had flown in Vietnam and we got to check them out and even climb inside them. I wish my sons could have seen them ,they would have loved it.



After surviving the parade and enjoying dinner, we headed down to the mall to see the fireworks. They were over-the-top and I loved it. Some people think it's a waste of money, but I've always enjoyed them. It was the perfect ending to an enlightening week. I'm so grateful I had the chance to finally see D.C. and I plan to go back and spend more time someday. I am truly proud to be an American. We may not be perfect, but I would never want to live anywhere else. There's a reason people from all over the world are risking their lives to come here every day.



I met some very tough and very good people this week. It feels good to know there are such quality people willing to serve their country, then and now. As a mother of three boys, I hope the day never comes when my boys go off to war. I am grateful for the sacrifice so many American mothers and families have already made to ensure our way of life. It is humbling and they will not be forgotten.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honey that was just a beautiful and I am so grateful you shared it with us. I appreciated the reminder of our world.

6:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an amazing trip! THe photos are wonderful.

7:47 AM  
Blogger babs said...

I love your shot of the fireworks. Aren't you glad you went?!? I bet that's the most awesome way to see DC. I saw the event at Ford's Theatre (on tv) and even the reading of the Emancipation Proclamation gave me chills!

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home